No matter the size of your home, there are simple things you can do to turn it into a luxurious living space. Even if your budget is small, with some creative ingenuity you can incorporate these nine tips to increase the feeling of luxury throughout your home.
- Ruthlessly declutter and keep it clean. The quickest way to get started is to only keep items that are of practical use along with a few things that you love. Our possessions tend to give us a sense of self, yet we can’t live a life of luxurious freedom until we let go of the superfluous items that clutter our space. Keeping your home clutter-free and tidy creates a sense of relaxation and calmness.
- Blend tech into your space. We have learned how to do a good job of hiding plumbing and household wiring, but we’re still learning how to make our tech look tidy. When cables and devices are in full view, they distract our eyes from the luxury we are trying to portray. Find creative ways to hide or cover the tv, routers, game consoles, and cables so they blend in with the surroundings.
- Bring in texture. Texture goes a long way in bringing a luxurious feel to every room. Think about creating layers of soft velvet, airy feathers, cool metals, smooth glass, grainy wood, and earthy leather. This creates depth and the feeling of a mature space.
- Add shapes. A variety of shapes create great eye appeal. If your rooms only have squared edges and flat surfaces, consider bringing in elements that play with shape. This can be done with furnishings and décor. Experiment with curves, spirals, sunbursts, and naturally formed objects.
- Natural elements. There is a growing interest in living with nature and caring for the environment. You can use these trends to add another layer of luxury by bringing in plants, rocks, or animal-related items. There’s a growing trend among designers to use recycled and recyclable materials and to find ways to blur the lines between indoor and outdoor spaces.
- Aged items. Carefully selected older items bring a sense of experience to a luxury space. Often the value of the item is in the story that accompanies it. In a decluttered home, a few well-chosen sentimental pieces will stand out, catching the attention of your guests and giving you the opportunity to share a special memory about the object.
- Treat the windows. This is an area that’s worth a splurge. Spend the money to install tailored drapes in each room. They add softness to spaces with a lot of hard furniture, creating balance.
- Art. Large pieces of framed art can pull it all together for a collected look that is an expression of you. Purchasing from local artists is less expensive, and even old frames can be updated with fresh paint.
- The finer details. Little finishing touches in a decluttered home add the final layer of luxury. Place fresh flowers, or even high-quality faux flowers, throughout the home. Add a few brass pieces for a bit of shine. If you can’t afford large marble countertops, select a smaller piece such as a small end table or coffee table. Add dimmer lights throughout to create a fitting ambiance for every occasion.
When cultivating a luxurious look and feel, consider the whole picture of your home. Each object tells a story of who you are, how you live, and what you value. Whether you live in a condo or a sprawling estate, a thoughtful selection of pieces will create luxury that will put a smile on your face.