Due to the hot and dry weather conditions, June can be a challenging month for Fountain Hills Gardens. However, there are still some crops that can be successfully grown during this time. Here are some suggestions for what to garden in Fountain Hills in June:
- Okra: Okra is a heat-loving plant that does well in the southwest summer. It can be planted in June and harvested in late summer and early fall.
- Sweet Potatoes: Sweet potatoes are another heat-tolerant crop that can be planted in June. They require well-draining soil and full sun.
- Melons: Melons, such as watermelon and cantaloupe, can be planted in June and harvested in late summer. They require a lot of water and full sun.
- Tomatoes: Tomatoes can be a bit challenging to grow in the hot summer, but some varieties can do well if given enough shade and water. Cherry tomatoes tend to be more successful than larger varieties.
- Peppers: Peppers are heat-loving plants that do well in the Southwest summer. They can be planted in June and harvested in late summer and early fall.
- Herbs: Many herbs, such as basil, thyme, and oregano, can be grown successfully in the Southwest during the summer. They require well-draining soil and regular watering.
It’s important to note that gardening in the Southwest during the summer requires special attention to watering and shading to protect plants from the intense heat. Providing shade cloth or other forms of shade and watering early in the morning or late in the evening can help plants thrive.
Fountain Hills Community Garden
Another local resource for southwest gardening knowledge is the Fountain Hills Community Garden, a gathering place where residents can learn to garden, grow healthy produce, connect with nature, stay physically active, and build social interactions. Master Gardeners share their wisdom about progressive gardening techniques, composting, recipes, and cooking classes. Become a Friend of the Fountain Hills Community Garden
Local Farmer’s Market
Is your green thumb looking a bit brown these days? Make sure to check out the 10th Annual Corn Market on Saturdays in June for fresh produce. The market will feature local growers and vendors located in the Tractor Supply parking lot in Fountain Hills, from 8 am -11:30 am.